Tuesday, January 31, 2012

MMJ 191 Week 7

In Convergence Journalism, smart phones rules

On the go journalists like me engaging into multimedia journalism and works in a convergence zone requires sophisticated gadgets to complete a task on time.

Thanks to the technologies present nowadays, which from time to time, revolutionizes its products (so long we could afford to buy).




An iPhone4 is one example gadget tested and proven as digital convergence tool based on experience.

Afternoon of July 15, 2011, a powerful car bomb went-off in Tacurong City in Central Mindanao targeting a convoy of politicians, this was captured by my iPhone seconds after the explosion.

Instinct for a journalist, I ran to the crime scene, which is 200 meters away, took action-packed scenes of the incident, conducted interviews and broke the story with exclusive enthralling footages.



I was in a travel that time and have not brought with me my laptop, the iPhone has served as my all purpose communication, from calls, texts messages for the script advisory, photo, video, audio recorder and serves as PC to the story submitted for national TV newscast of GMA network.

Aside from that I have the chance to tweet my story since I was connected with a 3G signal on the web.

The iPhone 4 is one of the varieties of tools that work for convergence. In fact, I’m using it as a back up for my DSLR camera with video and audio capturing features, digital audio recorder (zoom) and a MacBook Pro laptop, which are the ideal and present tools I use for processing news stories and multimedia projects.

Integrating the story in content management systems for news operations works great on blogs and storify.

In blog, you can package the story with all the pictures, video and texts, just like the storify where you can curate also the contents based on the opinions from other social media sites like Facebook and twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment